Thursday, April 16, 2009

My NAS Project Part 5

I almost made a mistake in this NAS project. Well, it's not yet a mistake as of now, but it may be in the future, may be it would happen the next second or never happen at all.

As mentioned in the specification and website, x09 series support max 1.5TB HDD and recently added the support of 2TB HDD. Instead of 1TB HDD which is very common now, of course I decided to go for 1.5TB to maximize the capacity of my DS209. My favorite was Western Digital HDD as all my Hi-Def gangs are on My Book series and very happy with its reliability and performance. But too bad, there is no 1.5TB by WD and the 2TB has yet to be sold in Low Yat. The only option during that time was Seagate 1.5TB. Since I have good experience with Seagate's HDDs (which are still running steadily in my old PC) and capacity (1TB vs. 1.5TB) is a matter to me, I went for it without much survey beforehand.

After setting up the NAS, as typical tech geek, I went to Synology forum to learn if there is any mod that can be done to tweak or to add feature to the NAS. This time around I again saw the same sticky announcement that I previously ignored (since I set my mind for WD) when I surveyed before purchase...


This time I did not ignore and went into the thread...


(click to enlarge)

And an excerpt from wikipedia...


(click to enlarge)

Gosh! My drive model is affected by this! I read on to another thread to see if I need to do anything, I seemed to be on the lucky side, the thread mentioned that drives with firmware coded CC are not affected by this bug. So I quickly shut down the NAS and took out the HDD for a look...


Seagate 1.5TB 7200rpm 32MB buffer 3.5" HDD, model ST31500341AS with firmware CC1H and manufactured by Seagate Thailand. The crucial keyword, firmware CC1H!

I still did not feel very confident, so I went to Seagate Knowledgebase and the notes at the bottom...


I still kiasi, so I emailed the technical support while I was chatting with the Seagate helpdesk...


After 4 days I got a reply from the tech support as well...


Phew~ I am safe!

And to further console myself, I ran few times the S.M.A.R.T test after some heavy BT downloads and numerous shut down and restart cycles on NAS...


The drive is still alive!

Perhaps I should trust what the technical support told me. But who knows, it could be just a comforting measure to calm the outbreak as the company denied the bug in the beginning stage.

Anyway, this should be the last piece of Seagate disk for me. Although I am not affected and I understood that every production line may have defects here and there, but reading through the forums I learned that their responsiveness on such emergency was not professional that a big corporate should showcase. In particular, the company denied the bug and refused to provide further details at the beginning when the defect statistic was already exponentially increased. In addition, they have withdrawn their base from BullehLand, so I shall support WD as the company still has its base here.